Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Little Date Night: Coffee Cured Steak


Coffee Cured Steak:

I am beginning to think I should have named my blog Pearls, Pinstripes, and Peppers because I really like to share my food recipes with you. I thought it would be a good idea to make Sean something he really likes for dinner. One of our top five places to eat in Cool Springs is Stoney River, and Sean loves the coffee-cured steak (which is around $32.00) so I took it upon myself to search for a recipe, and made it at home for a fraction of the price. Now, I'm sure mine isn't up to Stoney Standards, but it is very close! I searched on the internet and found this recipe:

4 beef tenderloin, filet
2 1/2 cups strong espresso or 2 1/2 cups darkest roast non-flavored coffee
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup molasses (Regular Strength)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt (or Sea Salt)
1 teaspoon cumin                            
1/2 cup ice                     

Directions:

  1. Place all the liquid and dry ingredients into a large bowl or zip-lock bag and mix until dissolved.
  2. (HINT: Measure the olive oil first and then the molasses, it will slide right out of the measuring cup if you do the oil first).
  3. Add ice to cool the mixture.
  4. Add the filets and marinate at least 6 hours for best results. I like to mix them up and flip the meat every couple of hours, but not required.
  5. When ready to cook the steaks, heat an iron skillet or griddle as hot as you can get it and sear the outside of the steaks for a minute or two until dark and crisp on the outside, then place on the grill to cook to your wellness liking the rest of the time
  6. (HINT: I recommend searing the steaks outside on a grill side burner if possible. It makes a mess of your cooktop inside otherwise.).
 
Easy enough, right? I must mention, I am not a steak person so I am only telling you what Sean told me...and he is honest when it comes to telling me if something I cook tastes good or not (lol). While I was letting the steaks marinate, Sean texted me and told me to get ready for a date night because he also had something special planned for me. It's always good to remember to surprise your "significant other" from time-to-time no matter how long you have been together! So I had to post-pone the steak for the next day. (The longer it marinates the better) So that worked out well for me!

Ingredients
Marinade:
Apron shot: find It here
Dining room table: I keep my table set at all times. You never know who may show up!

 For the sides I cooked parmesan asparagus and a sweet potato! 

I told Sean to pose and this is what he did lol.  This turned out to be a wonderful date night at the house! Simple and easy :-) 
Thanks for stopping by!! 
Kayla 

No comments:

Post a Comment